Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kenyan Recipes

My loving Hubby promises he knows how to cook the food of his homeland, but he can't tell me how he just has to do it. Or so he says. I did do some cooking in my mother-in-law's kitchen, but not enough to learn all I wanted. I found some great recipes a few years ago on the website of a Kenyan caterer, but now I can't find the site to reference these. You'll just have to believe me that they're yummy!

Chapati

4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
1/4 c vegetable oil

Sift flour. Combine milk and salt and add to flour. Knead. Divide into 8 balls. Roll out balls, brush oil onto circle and roll into 'sausage'. Coil into wheel and roll out. Put oil onto one side, fry, and repeat.

Bread machine variation: I put flour, salt, and cocunt milk, plus 2 T. oil into bread machine on dough cycle. I then divided into balls, rolled out and fried with melted butter flavor Crisco on each side. The machine saves a step and lots of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment